It seems like quite a few people following the autoimmune protocol are on the hunt for an AIP Paleo Trader Joe's shopping list. I've been seeing a lot of Facebook discussions and have had some reach out to me directly about it. So, I finally decided to put one together! All of the items are paleo, and gluten-free. Many of them are also Whole30 and keto-friendly.
If you like this list, you may also want to check out my Sprouts AIP Shopping list, Whole Foods AIP Shopping List, Kroger AIP Shopping List, Walmart AIP Shopping List, Sam's Club Shopping List, Costco AIP Shopping List, Meijer AIP Shopping List, Safeway AIP Shopping List, and Aldi AIP Shopping List.
I don't live close to a Trader Joe's but I do have two of them about 40 minutes away so I only go occasionally. I visited both this past week for the sake of a very thorough shopping list and man was it fun!
Many of the items on this list are suggestions from other AIPers on Facebook. I was able to find many but not all of them at my Trader Joe's locations, so I'm sure it varies a bit depending on where you are.
Most of these items are elimination phase compliant. A couple of them are stage 1 reintroductions, which I've noted. I tried to include pictures on items that may not be super obvious just to give a good idea of what the heck to look for.
Also, get the printable version of the shopping list at the bottom of the post!
**Just a quick heads up- this post contains affiliate links which means if you click on them and buy something, I will earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you) to help continue maintaining this site.
I love the produce section at Trader Joe's! They have so many great pre-cut veggies and veggie mixes. I'm currently obsessed with their kohlrabi vegetable pasta. I've been using it for everything!
- Pre-Cut Jicama Sticks
- Asparagus Saute with red onion and mushrooms- precut veggies
- Artichoke Globes
- Butternut Squash Zig Zags- Clear container, green label- they look like crinkle-cut fries.
- Butternut Squash Spirals
- Cruciferous Crunch (bagged produce)- Has kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and green and red cabbage.
- Diced Onions
- Fresh Organic Herbs
- Holiday Vegetable Hash (seasonal)- Has sweet potatoes, butternut squash, red onion, celery, parsley, sage, and rosemary
- Mandarin Oranges with the leaves still on
- Mini Avocados
- Mini English Cucumbers
- Mirepoix Mix- Diced carrots, onions, and celery
- Organic Coleslaw Mix
- Organic Broccoli Slaw
- Organic Shredded Kale
- Persian Cucumbers
- Pre-Cooked Beets
- Purple Sweet Potatoes
- Rainbow Carrots
- Rainbow Cauliflower
- Riced Cauliflower
- Riced Vegetable Medley- Cauliflower, Broccoli, Carrots, Green Onions, and Yellow Onions
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts
- Shredded Cabbage
- Shredded Carrots
- Spaghetti Squash
- Sweet Potato Ribbons
- White Sweet Potatoes
- Zucchini Noodles
- Pork Belly (see image below)
- Organic Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast Lunch Meat
- Chicken Bone Broth (bag), (see image below)
- Green Goddess Dressing in cooler/produce section. (Stg 1 reintro- has black pepper)
- Sauerkraut with Persian cucumbers
- Simply Roast Chicken Breast- Pre-Cooked Chicken (Reintro- has black pepper), see image below
- Smoked Salmon
- Jicama Wraps (see image below)
- Grass-Fed Lamb Chops
- Grass-Fed Ribeye Steaks
- Organic Chicken Wing Sections
- Organic Free-Range Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Organic Ground Beef
- Organic Ground Beef Patties
- Organic Ground Turkey
- Pastured Whole Chicken
- Uncured bacon
- Uncured Bacon Ends and Pieces
- Asparagus Spears
- Zucchini Spirals
- Beet Chunks
- Frozen Tostones- Fried plantain slices. Contains plantains and palm olein. As mentioned with the plantain chips, palm oil is allowed on AIP. Thus palm olein is technically allowed on AIP. However, some people choose to avoid it because it's quite processed.
- Just Coconut Chunks
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Organic Cherries
- Organic Chopped Spinach
- Organic Frozen Raspberries
- Organic Mango
- Organic Sliced Roasted Delicata Squash
- Organic Wild Maine Blueberries
- Riced Cauliflower
- Pineapple Tidbits
- Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp
- Wild Caugh Ahi Tuna
- Wild Caught Alaskan Cod
- Wild Caught Crab Meat (fully cooked)
- Wild-Caught Jumbo Sea Scallops
- Wild Caught Mahi Mahi
- Wild Caught Swordfish Steaks
- Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Grass-Fed Angus Burgers
- Turkey Burgers
- Uncooked Ground Buffalo Burgers
Dried/Freeze Dried Fruit Snacks and other Sweet Snacks
Trader Joe's has a ton of dried and freeze-dried fruit and fruit chips. Thus, I'm sure this list is not all-inclusive. Just be sure to check the labels as some dried fruits have added oils, sugars, and preservatives that are not compliant.
- Apple Rings
- Apple Chips
- Coconut chips
- Dried Baby Bananas- My new favorite!! These things look so weird but they're absolutely delicious.
- Dried Figs
- Dried Pear Slices
- Dried White Peaches
- Freeze Dried Honey Crisp Apple
- Freeze-Dried Berries
- Just Apple and Coconut Cereal Bars
- Organic Medjool dates
- Organic Raisins
- That's It bars
- Unsweetened Organic Dried Mango
- Unsweetened Unsulfured Dried Blueberries
- Watermelon Jerky
- Wild Made Fruit Leather
Read labels carefully on packaged snacks. There are some awesome snacks that are completely compliant. However, many others have sneaky ingredients like processed oils, preservatives, "natural flavors," and "spices." Steer clear of these for strict AIP.
- Broccoli Chips- TJ brand- Contains broccoli, palm oil, and salt.
- CHOMPS Sticks- Italian Beef with green packaging is the only one that's compliant.
- Epic Pork Rinds- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Just Beets- Dehydrated Beet Chips (white package, TJ's brand)
- Organic Carrot Chips- TJ brand dehydrated rainbow carrots
- Epic Meat Sticks- Check ingredient labels.
- Sweet Plantain Chips (yellow and green bag)- technically considered AIP by most but contains palm olein which is a fairy processed oil. Palm oil is allowed but this type is pretty refined. So..it's a judgment call.
- Plantain Crisps- (tan bag with green and yellow on it) Same situation as above- contains palm olein.
- Anchovies in Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Arrowroot Starch
- Avocado Oil
- Avocado Oil Spray
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olives- Read labels. Not all are compliant.
- Canned Butternut Squash Puree
- Canned Chicken
- Canned Oysters
- Canned Peaches in White Grape Juice
- Canned Pumpkin Purée
- Canned Sardines
- Canned Sockeye
- Canned Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon
- Canned Tuna
- Carob Powder
- Coconut Aminos
- Coconut Oil
- Great Lakes Collagen Powder
- Hearts of Palm Pasta- dehydrated
- Organic Maple Butter (may be seasonal)
- Matcha Green Tea Powder- Not to be confused with Matcha Green Tea Latte which is not compliant.
- Olive Oil Cooking spray
- Onion Salt
- Organic Coconut Flour
- Organic Coconut Sugar
- Organic Date Syrup
- Organic Raw Honey
- Organic Red Wine Vinegar
- Red Boat Fish Sauce
- Sicilian Selezione Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Small Boxes of Bone Broth- Beef (red box) and Chicken (yellow box)
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Vanilla Bean
- White Wine Vinegar
Note about juices- Try to make whole fruits a priority over juices simply because fruit juices are high in sugar. The recommended limit for fructose is 40 grams per day (although 20 grams is considered optimal) during the elimination phase. Read more on this here.
- Organic Carrot Juice
- Beet Juice
- Celery Juice (Suja brand)
- Organic Coconut Smoothie (in a bottle)
- Cold Pressed Cucumber Avocado Smoothie (in a bottle)
- Cold Pressed Pineapple Juice
- Kombucha- GT's Synergy is AIP compliant because it uses kiwi juice and fruit purees instead of sugar. A few compliant flavors include Trilogy, Gingerade, Guava Goddess, and Golden Pinapple.
- Organic Celery Juice
- Organic Coconut Water
- Tangerine Juice
- TJ's Cold Pressed Green Juice
- TJ's To the Power of 7 Organic Green Juice- contains kale juice, spinach juice, green apple juice, cucumber juice, celery juice, lemon juice, and, ginger powder
Shelf Stable Drinks
- Coconut Water
- Coconut Milk
- Coconut Cream
- Ginger Drink Mix Packets- Contains just ginger
- Power of Seven Purple Juice Blend
- TJ's Flavored Seltzer Waters- Cranberry Lime, Lemon Ginger
- Teas: Moroccan Mint Green Tea, Organic Earl Grey, Organic Peppermint, Organic Green Tea
- Spindrift- Grapefruit, Raspberry Lime, and Lemon are compliant. Some of the other flavors contain citric acid (not compliant).
I hope you found this post useful. This list is not all-inclusive. If you have AIP-compliant items to add, please leave a comment! Also, if you know of any items that have been discontinued, please let me know so I can take them off.
Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @foodcourage for the latest AIP/Paleo recipes, autoimmune nutrition info, and Food Courage happenings!
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like: