Healthy Homemade Veggie Pizza (Vegan, Gluten Free, Paleo)
This colorful, tasty, nourishing pizza is the perfect combination of healthy and indulgent. Its crust is tender and soft but crispy in the right places and topped with a tangy sauce, gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, asparagus, and red onions, then garnished with fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
I'm super excited about this recipe. The crust came about by accident while testing tortilla recipes and it's wonderful. With the sauce and veggies, it's even better. My kids even liked it, veggies and all.
Reasons this pizza is great:
It's fast and simple- Let's face it, making Paleo recipes can get complicated and time-consuming being that you can't use most prepacked goods to speed the process along. This pizza is relatively easy considering you're starting from scratch.
It's filling, fresh and very satisfying- the combination of healthy fats, moderate protein, and gorgeous veggies make for a perfect meal.
Here are a few things to note:
- This recipe makes enough for 1 large serving or 2 smaller servings.
- The chia seed meal is key for holding everything together. Letting the chia seed meal sit in the liquid for 5-10 minutes really increases its binding capacity.
- The sauce recipe makes over half a cup of sauce but you only 2-3 tbsp for the pizza itself. The additional sauce works well for dipping.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. If you made it, please leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- 1 fresh tomato sliced
- 3 asparagus stalks chopped
- 3-4 thin onion slices
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil to be drizzled afer baking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Mix pizza sauce ingredients together and add 2-3 T sauce to pizza after 10 minutes baking. There will be sauce left over which can be used for dipping.
- Mix wet ingredients in a medium bowl with ground chia seeds.
- Mid dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together to form a dough ball.
- Place dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and 8 inches diameter.
- Keep dough on parchment paper and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees Farenheit for 10 minutes, then remove and add toppings.
- Return to oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool on a baking rack.
- Top with fresh basil and olive oil drizzled over the top. Slice and serve.