This easy homemade vegan pizza dough is made without yeast and is egg-free, Paleo-friendly, and gluten-free. I came up with it somewhat by accident in a quest to find a great Paleo tortilla. I did find that too, but in the process, I also ended up with this awesome pizza dough. This recipe makes 1 large serving or 2 smaller servings.
- It's simple and fast- Just mix the ingredients together, roll out the dough, and bake.
- It's healthy- Almond flour, olive oil, and chia seed meal add healthy fats to this meal and keep the carbohydrate count in check.
- It's very versatile- This pizza crust is really good even by itself. Just bake the dough for 20-25 minutes straight rather than taking it out mid-way to add toppings. It works well as a pita bread substitute and is great for dipping.
- Cassava Flour- This is just a really reliable type of flour because it acts similarly to regular white flour. I'm a fan of Otto's brand.
- Almond Flour- Super-Fine Almond Flour (rather than regular almond meal) will produce a softer texture. What's the difference between almond flour and almond meal? These get used interchangeably but there is a difference. Almond meal is made using the entire almond and is courser than almond flour. Almond flour is made from blanched almonds and the skins are removed.
- Tapioca Starch- This is really important for helping to bind the ingredients together in a grain-free recipe. Finding a balance can be tricky with this ingredient because too little means the dough falls apart, but too much produces a really stretchy weird texture.
- Coconut Flour- This is a really soft good tasting flour, but by itself or in large proportions to the other flours, it makes for a very crumbly dough. In small amounts though, it adds to a very soft texture and nice flavor to the dough.
- Olive oil- I used extra-virgin but a lighter olive oil would produce a milder flavor which is fine. I tried substituting avocado oil in one version of this recipe and it just didn't produce the same results.
- Ground Chia Seeds/Chia Seed Meal- This is another important ingredient for binding everything together and allows this recipe to be egg-free. You'll mix the ground chia seeds with the liquids in the recipe which will make a gelatinous egg-like substance. It's important to let it sit in the liquid for a few minutes to get nice and gooey. This holds everything together and makes a beautiful dough.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- This gives a little bit of rise to the dough without having to use yeast.
You can find the recipe for the veggie pizza pictured above here.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. If you made it, please leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Vegan Pizza Dough (Paleo, Gluten Free, Yeast-Free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl with ground chia seeds. Allow chia seeds to soak for about 5 minutes before combining wet and dry ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients together to form a dough. Knead with hands and form a ball.
- Place dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and about 8" in diameter.
- Keep pizza dough on parchment paper and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then remove from oven to put toppings on. *If not adding any toppings, continue baking (20-25 mins total).
- Return to oven for 15 more minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve.