Many homemade caramel sauce recipes require cooking on a stove top. I find that extra effort a little off-putting when I want something quick, so I'm happy to say this salted caramel sauce is about as easy and fast as it can possibly get! It just takes 5 ingredients and 1-2 minutes of your time to make. The only cooking involved is melting the coconut butter in the microwave. Plus, it is of course, Paleo/AIP friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
When it comes to desserts, there's something about the idea of salted caramel that is so darn satisfying. On the rare occasion that we visited an ice cream shop pre-AIP diet, salted caramel was at the top of my list for flavor of choice if they happened to carry it.
This is the same salted caramel sauce used in my Pumpkin Cherry Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze, but I wanted to make a separate post for the sauce because it can be used on so many more things!
- Coconut Butter- You'll just need to melt this a little bit in the microwave before mixing it with the other ingredients. I like to use coconut butter for this recipe because it solidifies when it cools. This makes it a really nice glaze/topping for desserts because it stays in place. If you don't have coconut butter, you can likely use palm shortening and get a similar result.
- Maple Syrup- Honey will work fine as well.
- Arrowroot Starch- This helps to thicken to sauce a bit. Tapioca starch would work too.
- Coconut Milk- Finding a good coconut milk that is both AIP compliant (free of guar gum) and has a smooth texture is not easy!! That's why I was so thrilled to finally find Thai Kitchen's "2 Simple Ingredient" coconut milk. It's just coconut and water and comes in shelf-stable cartons that you keep in the fridge once opened. It's silky smooth and you don't have to mess with shaking and mixing it. The cartons have an easy-pour spout which is wonderful- no more opening cans and then having to store the milk in tupperware! This is one of my Amazon subscribe and save items- I get a box of 6 cartons every month.
- Sea Salt- If you're not a huge fan of the "salted" part of salted caramel, decrease the salt by about half or omit it. I will say though, that adding a little bit of salt helps to bring out the sweetness.
Caramel Sauce Uses
- Drizzle over cake or dessert bread
- Dip apples or other fruit in it
- Drizzle over Paleo/AIP bread pudding
- Use as a topping for ice cream
- Use as a glaze for cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, and cookies
This will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 4-5 days.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you made it, leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. I'd love to hear from you!
Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @foodcourage for the latest AIP/Paleo recipes and Food Courage happenings!
1 Minute Easy Salted Caramel Sauce (Paleo, AIP, DF, GF, Vegan)
- In a small bowl, mix the caramel sauce ingredients and enjoy!